6 Days of Shawwal
Please give some guidelines regarding fasting the 6 fasts of shawwāl?
𝙒𝙝𝙤𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧 𝙛𝙖𝙨𝙩𝙨 𝙙𝙪𝙧𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙢𝙤𝙣𝙩𝙝 𝙤𝙛 𝙍𝙖𝙢𝙖𝙙𝙖𝙣 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙛𝙤𝙡𝙡𝙤𝙬𝙨 𝙞𝙩 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙨𝙞𝙭 𝙙𝙖𝙮𝙨 𝙤𝙛 𝙎𝙝𝙖𝙬𝙬𝙖𝙖𝙡 𝙬𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙗𝙚 𝙧𝙚𝙬𝙖𝙧𝙙𝙚𝙙 𝙖𝙨 𝙞𝙛 𝙝𝙚 𝙝𝙖𝙙 𝙛𝙖𝙨𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙧𝙚 𝙮𝙚𝙖𝙧.” ( صحيح مسلم عن ابى ايوب الانصارى وفيه طرق اخرى)
– Based on the above hadīth, scholars from the Hanafī, Shāf’ī , Hanbali & Mālikī schools consider it a recommended and rewardable practise. ( انظر المجموع والمغنى وحاشية و ابن عابدين
– Consecutive or Not? Imam Shaf’i (ra) considers it recommended to do these consecutively after Eid al Fitr while the other schools don’t stipulate it as recommended – ie it can be done at anytime during shawwāl.
– It is permissible to fast these six days before making up any missed days from Ramadan. Though one should not delay in making up missed fasts.
– You can combine between the intention to gain the reward of both Sunnah fasting days and the 6 days of Shawwaal (E.g. Monday, Thursday, Middle of the month fasting known as the White days Days).
– One should try not combine between the intention to fast any of these 6 days with the intention to make up any missed/ qadā days of Ramadan. But if it done, it will be permissible though of a lesser reward. The primary intention here should be qadā’ with the shawwāl as a secondary intention.
– Making the intention to fast any of the 6 days: can be done before fajr entry time ( Ie suhūr) or until 11:30am ( approx based on WA Fajr entry and sunset times as at 27/05/20) – provided one has not eaten anything from the entry of Fajr time.
– The date of the last day of Shawaal is 21/22 June’20 – based on Local Australian Moon- Sighting.
And Allah knows best
Shaykh Shabir Moosa
( Please listen out for Shawwāl Audio Series to follow – based on:
Hāfiz Ibn Rajab’s work:
‘ Al Latā’if Al M’ārif’ – ‘ Subtleties of the Knowers ( of Allah)