Eid Takbirs in light of Covid-19 Restrictions
The takbir for eid starts after sunset on the night of Eid. When does it end in light of the fact that eid prayer will most likely not take place this year?
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته
جزاكم الله خيرا for an interesting question.
The takbīr will remain a sunnah of eīd even though there may be no prayer. They not linked to each other.
1. According to most opinions takbīr ends either by the emergence of the imām for eīd prayer or the prayer itself.
2. There could still potentially be Eid salāh albeit in a restricted form – in some places hence the above ruling will apply.
3. In itself the takbīr, is a sunnah according to the all the fuqahā’ based on the verse :
ولتكبروا الله على ما هداكم – هداكم – which as interpreted implies eīd prayer .
Based on the fact that though the valid time for eīd prayer extends until zawāl, the sunnah time is:
عند ارتفاع الشمس قدر رمحٍ i.e post sunrise when the sun is the height of one / two spears.
Hence drawing from the above we could conclude – given the circumstance of when no eīd prayer is performed, the takbīr should end at the time when:
– eīd prayer would have generally been performed
– or about 10 min after sunrise.
This is solely based on my analogy.
والله اعلم بالصواب وهو الموفق والمعين
Shaykh Shabir Moosa