How long is Eid for and Fasting 6 days of Shawwal
I have two question:
First question – How long does eid go for as I’ve heard some people saying eid can go for up to 3 days?
Second question – When can you start fasting the 6 days of shawwal and if people are celebrating eids on different days does this effect when you start?
1. Eid ul fitr is only one day.
The Eid al-Fitr prayer may be performed on that day any time after the sun completely rises up to just before the entering of the Dhuhr prayer time on Eid day (1st of Shawwal).
* It cannot be delayed beyond this day without a shariah compliant excuse.
* If an excuse is present, the prayer can only be offered the day after (2nd Shawwal) during the aforementioned time. Thereafter, it cannot be performed.
* If an excuse is not present, the prayer is not valid if it is delayed to the next day.
[al-Maydani, al-Lubab; Shurunbulali, Imdad al-Fattah]
However Eid ul Adha includes the first day of Eid and the three days of tashreeq afterwards. The days of Tashreeq are 11th, 12th, and 13th of Zul Hijja. These are the special days on which the pilgrims are required to remember Allah excessively. Those who are not pilgrims are required to recite Takbeers after the Fardh Salaah on these days.
2. It is not permissible to fast on Eid day.
You may start the fasting of Shawaal any time after Eidul Fitr (1st Shawaal) according to the method you based your beginning and ending of Ramadhan.
The correct method taught by our Prophet sallallahu alaihi wa salam however was by moon sighting.